Saving data from a broken openSUSE Partition

P

Purp

Grünschnabel
Dear Community, dear Professionals

yesterday I accidently "destroyed" (?) my openSUSE 10.3 bootpartition. I tried to fix it using the feature on DVD, but this one failed.

Only my Vista is booting now. I tried the following commands (after using fsck). This probably was not a good idea - now do now have any access anymore to that partition... and the prog now runs in an infinite loop. Somehow that partition - which was ext3 before was converted by the below commands to ext2 (stating: sda6 is now ext2 ONLY *** ).

So, the next thing I knew was to plug in Partition Manager 2008 CD and back up the partition I badly need access to...

e2fsck -c -f -y /dev/sda6
Code:
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): ..................................

Group 7's inode table at 229421 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Group 7's inode table at 229422 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Group 7's inode table at 229423 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Group 7's inode table at 229558 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Group 7's inode table at 229559 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

############### and so on... ###################

Group 7's inode table at 229760 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Group 7's inode table at 229761 conflicts with some other fs block.
Relocate? yes

Root inode is not a directory. Clear? yes

Error allocating 503 contiguous block(s) in block group 3 for inode table: Could not allocate block in ext2 filesystem
Error allocating 503 contiguous block(s) in block group 5 for inode table: Could not allocate block in ext2 filesystem
Error allocating 503 contiguous block(s) in block group 7 for inode table: Could not allocate block in ext2 filesystem
Restarting e2fsck from the beginning...
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): 6847565/ 18436446

-looping-

Well, my ONLY question is: HOW AM I ABLE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THAT PARTITION to save at least some of the important files?

Output of dmesg | tail is:
Code:
EXT2-fs: corrupt root inode, run e2fsck
mtrr: type mismatch for d5c00000,200000 old: write-back new: write-combining
mtrr: type mismatch for d5800000,400000 old: write-back new: write-combining
mtrr: type mismatch for d5000000,800000 old: write-back new: write-combining
I´ve also tried with a live linux CD to gain access to the partition (it´s shown, but if I click it, error messages occur). PLEASE help - I even would donate money to you, if you could give me a glimpse on what to do now!

--Purp.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Thanks for helping!

Code:
bt ~ # fdisk -l
omitting empty partition (5)

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20673 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        2421    18298003+  27  Unknown
/dev/sda2   *        2421       12687    77610015    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3           12688       14353    12586927+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5           12688       12966     2104483+  82  Linux swap
/dev/sda6           12967       13919     7204648+  83  Linux

Running fdisk -l on appropriate partition:

Code:
bt ~ # fdisk -l /dev/sda6

Disk /dev/sda6: 7377 MB, 7377560064 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 896 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sda6 doesn't contain a valid partition table.

yesterday I accidently "destroyed" (?) my openSUSE 10.3 bootpartition.

What exactly did you do? Did you edit your menu.lst? Tried to resize partitions?

Somehow that partition - which was ext3 before was converted by the below commands to ext2

Sounds to me like the specific partition was reformatted. In that case the chance to regain access to the contained data is pretty close to zero (donations or not). Sorry to tell you so. Try to be a little more cautious when working with partitions...

Thanks, people!

Hallo und vielen Dank nochmls für Eure Hilfe.

Mein posting in anderen Foren auf Englisch:

Problem solved -- Thred closed. :o)

There are six simple steps, guys:

1. DO NOT PANIC - most important step. By going insane, you will destroy not just your data, but yourself lying awake endless nights.

2. Get a Partition-Manager Live CD of your choice (e.g. from Paragon) and immediately back up the partition with your data (most cases it is /home)

3. If you have another still bootble system, you are in advance - get these tools:

* Nucleus.Kernel.Linux.Data.Recovery ... or
* Rlinux -- very good freeware-tool ~best choice~

4. Starting: Do not mess with your partition. If you don't know how to use e2fsck, fsck or gpart properly as newby, PLEASE do not use them. I know, everyone of you wants to be a professional, but somehow... you know...

5. Run Rlinux on your windows partition, let it find you partition & select to restore ALL data (data appearing twice should be renamed) into a windows folder....

6. BINGO - search the folder when operation completed for your user name or specific files & folders.

- 7. - If you found everything you wanted, save it and delete your partitions with the manager, aftwerwards setting up your system again.

:( Difficult, but life saving... :o)

Yours,

Purp. :brav: DANKE, Gott!

Hallo und vielen Dank nochmls für Eure Hilfe.
Mein posting in anderen Foren auf Englisch:
Hallo Purp,

wir haben hier öfters Diskussionen zu einigen Regeln gehabt. Dazu gehört:
  • keine Crosspostings
  • wenn doch, dann verlinken, damit alle was davon haben
    (es kann sein, daß dort eine Lösung gefunden wird, hier aber nicht oder umgekehrt)
  • das ist ein deutschsprachiges Forum. Wenn du diese Sprache kannst, benutze sie möglichst. Wie du siehst, wird auf Englisch auch eingegangen, aber zuvorderst deshalb, weil alle glauben, daß sie dir sonst nicht helfen können. Ich denke mal das war einfach ein rein gepastetes Posting von woanders?
  • Lösungswege, die aufzeigen, wie das Problem in UNIX / LINUX / ... entstanden ist und wie ihm dort zu begegnen ist, werden hier favorisiert. Nicht jeder hier hat oder hatte gar je Windows, also trägt es nichts zum Board bei, wenn zur Datenrettung ein Windows-Tool empfohlen wird. Das kann auch nur Daten retten, die noch da waren, also waren sie noch da und das Problem wurde hier weder erkannt noch gelöst.
Das sind so ein paar Dinge, die mir gerade hierzu einfallen.

Auf keine der helfenden Fragen nach dem Posten von fdisk -l hast du geantwortet, niemand weiß, was wirklich los war, niemand kann daraus was lernen.

Trotzdem willkommen im UB, aber ... ok?